Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Surprises

I talked about The Kid Swap on Monday and I am fortunate enough to have a friend nearby that is willing to swap on a regular basis. Today she watched Z while I was at a photo shoot and tomorrow I will watch her children while she goes to her Doctors appointment.

I met this friend 11 years ago at church. Her and her husband had a precious little blond haired, blue eyed girl, who was the picture perfect flower girl in our wedding.

Things were going well for their little family and they were ready to try to have another baby, but it just wasn't happening. My dear friend suffered from one miscarriage after the other and was unable to have anymore kids.

They aren't the type of people to just leave at that, so they took this as an opportunity to reach out. They started to participate in a foster care program. To make a long story short they ended up adopting 3 African American children. They also are currently the legal guardians of their 7 year old niece whose mother was in an accident. You would think they wouldn't have any desire or room to babysit my little boy, but they insist. He usually goes over there once a week and he loves it. They used to brag about how they are done with babies and toddlers so they can have fun with Z and send him home spoiled. Little did they know that they weren't quite done yet.

I nearly passed out 7 months ago when I got the news that my friend who was unable to have children for the past 11 years was pregnant and the Doctors reported that she was carrying as a normal healthy pregnant woman should. So now she is just a couple months away from having another baby, making them a family of seven. They are such amazing people. I feel so blessed to have them in my life. I can't wait to meet the new little one. They are waiting to find out the gender, because I guess they just really like surprises.




Z with the kiddos at my friend's house September 2008.

1 comment:

Michele R said...

I can tell that Z really has a blast over at their house. When my kids were little I took them to a lady who had in-home care and three kids of her own. It was a fabulous experience and although it was 8 years ago and we've lost touch and moved away, they still talk about her and the cool things they did.
Oh, and that picture of you as a bride with the child? Took my breath away. Absolutely gorgeous. Would kick butt in any magazine I've ever seen.