Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Look Back and Laugh: Clear Blue & Ice Cream

Yesterday I mentioned how every blogger has to decide just how much they want to divulge about their personal life. I think last Saturdays post is a pretty good indicator of how much I am willing to share. I mentioned taking a couple pregnancy tests and it just doesn’t get much more personal than that.

The funny thing is sometimes some of our most intimate purchases are forced to be shared with complete strangers. Last week I went to the store specifically for a pregnancy test, but somehow my nerves lead me down the frozen novelty aisle and that is where I discovered a new Ben & Jerry’s flavor that I have not yet tried! Although I didn’t need a pint of Chocolate Macadamia, I felt like it needed me. Really, how could I refuse “Fair Trade certified cocoa & vanilla… that creates fair & equitable opportunities for farmers & their communities, promoting sustainable farming practices that support a healthy planet & respect for people too.”?

So there I was in line with my Clear Blue 2 pack pregnancy tests and a tub of ice cream and the moment I lay them on the conveyer belt it was like time started to move in slow motion. I could have sworn the people in front of me were deliberately stalling so that everyone in line could have a good look at my items and assume I am knocked up and stressed out. All these thoughts are going through my mind and I am becoming increasingly embarrassed by the whole scenario until it was finally my turn to check out. As I slide my debit card through the machine I think about how silly and self-absorbed I am. I am sure no one even noticed what I was buying. Then as the cashier hands me my receipt I gasp and say “Oh no I forgot to get cash back! Oh well.” The cashier quickly responded “ I guess you got your mind on other things” as she points out the pregnancy test I had just purchased. I nodded, grabbed my bags and walked away, and as I did I couldn’t help but look back and laugh.

3 comments:

Michele R said...

You were gutsy to buy just one other item with your preg tests. I have bought several --actually more than several in my life and the last time I had to buy about 5 other things I really didn't need. It was a teen guy cashier who I tried to avoid but my other line was slow and then he called me over to his empty line. As I read your post I thought--well at least you didn't have pickles too. But who ever actually wanted pickles when pregnant???

hannah said...

that's funny - i remember early in the summer i bought a test at CVS and i was behind an older lady at the check out (with a teenage guy cashier too) - she turns around and looks in my cart and says, quite audibly, "so are you hoping for a positive or negative?". when i said positive she said "well, i think you're pregnant, you have that glow!" and i couldn't help myself and said "acutally, you're just embarrassing me..." and the teenager looked very akward...

Dawn's Daily Journal said...

hahahahahahaha Reminds me of the time I bought tampons and a big bag of M&Ms. People moved outta my way when they saw all of that coming!
heehee
dawn