Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Works For Me Wednesday: Cloth Diapers



I have mentioned in previous posts that I use cloth diapers on my son and that a big part of the reason I felt compelled to go for the reusable diapers was because of what it does for the environment. In honor of earth day I thought I would share the my cloth diapering routine in video format. I have used cloth diapers for 19 months now, and not only do they work for me, but they also work towards less diapers in landfills, more trees that aren't being turned into diapers, and a cleaner environment all the way around. Happy earth day!







Before I come across as haughty I should also mention that I use disposables diapers too and I am not anti-disposables. I just feel that we all have some part to play and this is one small way that I can have a positive impact.

4 comments:

Dutchnic said...

Thanks for the advice! I'm currently 12 weeks pregnant with my first and contemplating cloth diapering. It sounds overwhelming though, especially since I want to continue working 3 days after the baby is born. I've been considering using cloth diapers the other 4 days but I don't really know how handy that will be so any advice is welcome!

Lexi said...

I would like more information on this topic as well...I would love to use cloth diapers at some point, but don't know how feasible the option is and where do you even purchase cloth diapers?? I need to have a talk with you about this subject! :) You could definitely shed some light on the subject for me.

'Becca said...

Cool! I loved cloth diapers for my baby (who is toilet-trained now). Click on my name for lots of info about it, including how we used cloth at childcare, links to places to buy diapers, and just how very "feasible" it is!

EGs' Mom said...

I love our cloth diapers. We've used them on two kids now, and I wouldn't have it any other way. We use mother-ease "sandy's" for when their tiny and switch to the "one-size" after that. We chose this brand because we liked the plastic snaps instead of velcro. These require a cover (not like the vinyl pants of old). These also have snaps. You can get all-in-ones (like on the video), but we expect to have more children and we were told they wear out faster (water proof). So as we wear out covers we can just buy covers and not the whole diaper, but this does require an extra step. However, you only need to wash the cover when they become soiled.
We've used them exclusively, but we've also had friends borrow the Sandy's for their twins and they used both cloth & disposable, to save them money. So you could definately switch back and forth.
You can buy these at mother-ease.com. Or other types can be found at mothernurtureky.com
Hope this helps!