Thursday, April 23, 2009

Things I Love Thursday: Reusable Bags


I have finally jumped on the band wagon of reusable shopping bags. Starting in January I banned myself from getting plastic bags at the grocery store. It is one resolution that I have taken very seriously. In some cases this has meant going shopping later because I don't have my bags with me, or just getting a few items and not using any bags at all. You get some strange looks leaving the store with your arms full holding a dozen eggs, milk, bananas, pretzels and your receipt but after having just a couple of these incidents I have trained myself to always have reusable bags on hand.

I love my bags because I feel like I get to show my personality with some of them. I even decorated one by adding to the design with some permanent marker. I also love how much stuff you can fit in them. It is so much easier to carry two bags full of groceries over your shoulder, rather than have 10 little plastic bags looped around your wrists.

The resuable bags rarely cost more than a dollar, but you know me, why a pay a dollar when you can pay less? I am always keeping my eye out for cool totes at thrift stores and yard sales where they cost around 50 cents. There are also lots of opportunities to pay absolutely nothing for these bags. I got two of these for free yesterday and the 3rd one was a freebie I ordered online.

My husband installed hooks in our kitchen where I can hang them after I put the groceries away. They sit right above our recycling bin and every time I leave the house they are in my line of sight, reminding me that they need to go back in the car.

It has only been 4 months that I have been plastic bag free, but I do feel like I have found my groove with this system and there is no turning back now.



For more "Things I love Thursday" go to the diaper diaries.net

6 comments:

Jen-After the Alter said...

You know, I really need to jump on this bandwagon too. When I am at the store and see someone do it, I say "i'm gonna do it next time" and I never do. I guess you just have to bite the bullet and buy the bags. Maybe I'll check out the dollar store and get a few. See how that goes...

Jen

Becky said...

Good on you! You know, I've gone as far as collecting the bags (I got the same little one that you got from an online freebie), but I can't seem to take them to the store. Maybe I'll go put them all in the car.

Several times, in the Publix circular, they'll have a coupon for a free bag with some other purchase--I've gotten some that way.

{amy} said...

I have several bags that I'm trying to be more in the habit of using. Like you, I go bagless with just a couple of items, and other times I'll just get a few items to fit in the ONE bag that I have in the car. But today, as I was walking out of the store with my cute bag from Sally Beauty Supply, I realized that I have actually been making more trips (in the car, of course) for a smaller number of items each time! So, I've accidentally traded one environmental pollutant for another! Your post has encouraged me to make sure I have ALL my bags with me every time I leave the house! :)

Amanda Huerta said...

I love my bags! I shop every two weeks for groceries and it is just so much better to use less bags. I ended up buying the bigger reusable bags at HEB, so I use even less. I also have reusable bags for my produce that I got at dollar tree because I also don't want to use those small produce bags. I always get compliments on those. Your bags look so pretty and I love the hooks you have. That was such a good idea! I think it is so cool that your doing a week on earth friendly things:)

Eos Mom said...

Good for you! I got some neat bags for Christmas (the kind that wad up into a little pocket so they're always in my baf) but sometimes, like today, I'm just lazy. So I applaud you're effort--it's not easy to go plastic-free!

Taylor said...

I love mine too! My grocery store even gives me a penny off my bill for each bag used.