Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Let Them Eat Cake


Being a wedding photographer can be stressful for sure, but it does have it's perks, like the cake. I love wedding cake. Not all wedding cakes are created equal, but I have tried over 50 different kinds in my lifetime and I have noticed that they are progressively improving. Not only in the presentation, but the taste as well. It is an important aspect of the wedding.Here are some things to consider when choosing a cake

1. The flavor
Typically the wedding cake is vanilla and the grooms cake is chocolate or something more exotic, but it's your day and there are no rules, so pick what you like. Just remember that no matter how beautiful your cake is, cakes are like people, it's what's on the inside that counts.
2. The Look
Now that we have established that taste does matter let's talk decor. There was a time not too long ago when if it wasn't white it wasn't a wedding cake, but those days are over. The cake should match your own personal style. What your wedding dress is to the ceremony, your cake is to your reception, so make it count!
3. The cake topper
Once again, cake toppers are as unique as the couple getting married. Anything that can fit on top can become a topper. The latest trends seem to be flowers or a monogram letter of the grooms last name, although some opt for a more humorous route like a figurine of bride catching a groom with a fishing pole.

4. The grooms cake
Usually the groom has VERY little to do with any of the wedding planning and decor. The grooms cake is a way of throwing him a bone, it is a cake that represents the groom. I have seen a lot of fraternity and sports themed cakes. The last wedding I photographed had key lime pie slices in honor of the grooms favorite dessert. When it comes to grooms cake, all I know is that I can't get enough of those tuxedo strawberries.

5. The size

Cakes are pricey, but there are ways around selling all your possessions in order to afford one. Sometimes there are some layers that are made of foam, but are covered with icing. Watch out for this though, I have seen a few couple try to cut into the fake layers! Cup cake towers are also becoming more popular, so instead of having enough cake to feed everyone you just have a small decorative cake along with some precut sheet cake or gourmet cups cakes. Don't feel bad if you can't get the cake you want in a size big enough to feed hundreds. Just make sure you have some other kind of filler, like cookies or a chocolate fountain. My take on it is that it isn't a tragedy if you run out of cake, but it is if you don't have enough dessert!


This blog post is a part of Works for Me Wednesday over at "We are THAT family"

All photos are by Memory Weaver Photography

6 comments:

Becky said...

Ooh, love these pics! I have never seen the tuxedo strawberries!

And I thought that cake topper showed the bride whipping the groom. Ahem!

Zion said...

That's funny Becky. That is why I clarified about the cake topper because I was worried with the photo being that small it could look like the bride was doing a number of different things to the groom.

Anonymous said...

I also thought it was a whip. I wouldn't be surprised if that one's been done. The groom couldn't see the cake ahead though.
N.L.W.

Unknown said...

I enjoyed your post as well. My husband and I renewed our vows last October. Our 3 tier cake was very tasty and affordable. We had our cake topper custom made. Each of us, including our teen. I wanted the topper to be on display in our home...and it is.

Anonymous said...

Interesting piece (no pun intended).

Who would have though; 50 different varieties and a groom cake? I like that idea. :-)

Anonymous said...

Your pictures are beautiful...job well done!

I'm diggin' the tuxedo strawberries. They are too cute.

Thanks for sharing you images with us.

TJ