Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Works For Me Wednesday: Lemons





This week I am trying to be the not so messy mom as I work through my spring cleaning checklist. One big area is the kitchen. I have a fabulous built in wooden cutting board that my husband made. Wooden cutting boards are great because they are soft and so much better for your knives than other materials, they contain natural oils that can kill bacteria, and wood from fruit baring trees will add to the flavor of your cuisine, kind of like barrel aged wine. So obviously the wooden cutting board “works for me” the one problem I do have is that they have a tendency to retain odor. As a family that loves salmon this has become a problem.

That is until some friends of ours told us to try using lemon and see if it removed the salmon smell. So we rubbed a lemon over the cutting board let it sit for several minutes and removed it with hot water. Voila, the smell went from fish to fresh just like that and it stayed that way (until we had fish again). I have since looked into the lemon phenomenon and found that as an organic acid natural lemons can be used to disinfect, bleach, and clean all kinds of things. Run an empty dishwasher with lemon juice or put lemon rind in your garbage disposal for refreshing and deodorizing. If you like cleaning with vinegar, but aren’t a fan of the smell just add lemons. I guess you could say; if life gives you lemons, make lemonade and some natural and economical household cleaner.



For more Works For Me Wednesday posts go to "We are THAT family"
and if you have any other lemon uses please share, I would love to try them out!

4 comments:

Moore Minutes said...

What a genius idea! Thanks for sharing. :)

Denise Nielsen said...

Love cleaning with lemons - and vinegar & baking soda too for that matter. I've gone off commercial cleaners completely since I discovered this magic trio. Well - except for bleach which I use sparingly. As a fellow messy mom, sometimes you have to know when to break out the big guns.

Anonymous said...

I have always heard to add salt so that your lemon scrubs the board well, too (and salt also helps with bacteria, like the lemon).

Frugal Sara said...

I love the smell of lemon! Great idea, I am deep in Spring Cleaning mode so maybe I will try this. Thanks for sharing!