Friday, March 6, 2009

Why Me? Friday

I wasn't having the best week ever, besides the little piddley things that I have mentioned on this blog I had a lot on my mind. When Friday came I was determined to put it all aside and have a restful weekend. I slept soundly that night. The next day my husband had already left for work and I went out to my car to get a few things. I unlocked the driver’s side door and opened it to find broken glass all over the passenger seat. I looked up and saw that the window was busted out, I then looked over, and noticed that my GPS was gone. I immediately panicked and ran next door. Our neighbor is someone that has always been there for us and calls herself the mayor of the block. When she opened the door she was on the phone. I stood there trembling, with a look of terror on my face, eyes full of tears, and my son in my arms. “I gotta go” she said into the receiver as she abruptly hung up. All I could do was point to the evidence of the crime scene in my driveway.

She helped to calm me down so that I could call 911. The police came out to file a report. They were very helpful and thorough. They had a lot of questions, but I was in such shock I couldn't even think straight. It was hard to believe that this was happening on my street, which is always so peaceful and safe. They had me get the box that the GPS came in and they were able to get the UPC code off of it so that if it were pawned it would show up in the system as a stolen item. I was also able to tell them about the mysterious man that had shown up at my door asking for money days earlier. They said that he cannot be directly linked as a suspect, however if he comes back I can call the police station and they can come out under the grounds of soliciting without a permit.

I have been flooded with all kinds of emotions since the break in. What could I have done different? How am going to recover from this? What if something else happens? Why me?

In the end it was a GPS and a digital camera that were stolen, but my ipod which would normally be in my car was in the house so that we could get it repaired, so that’s at least one less thing to replace. More importantly my family is okay and despite all the feelings of fear, sadness, and anger I know that we will get through this.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I wish I'd thought to give Vesta a hug when I was down there.
N.L.W.

Becky said...

Oh no! Scary! It is shocking when something like that happens. Thank goodness you are all okay.