Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Look Back and Laugh: Slave for a Day

Getting 3 kids ready for school in the morning is no easy task and I dread the day that I will reap what I have sown when my parents raised me. The morning would begin with the dim lights pouring in from the hallway as my mother would softly tell us that it was time to get up. Then the next round she would go through to each room abruptly flipping light switches and singing you gotta get up this morning to the tune of US military morning bugle call
(Listen Here)
Then would come the stripping of the blankets and nagging about the importance of getting to school on time. She even threw water on my brother a few times in order to get him out of bed. My problem was that once I was out of bed I would take too long to get ready. She would threaten that if I missed the bus I would have to be her personal slave for the day and I would have to work my fingers to the bone like little orphan Annie or Cinderella. She said that I would have so many chores that I would beg to go to school instead. So eventually that is what it came down to, I missed the bus and she was determined to teach me a lesson. I know it sounds like a something worth reporting to CPS, or at least a reason to be on the Dr. Phil show. However, slave day didn’t go quite as planned and we ended up having a lot of fun. This meant that my mom had to resort to other bribes/threats in order to get me to school. I guess it’s just a hard knock life for us.

No comments: