Tuesday, January 13, 2009

2008 Memories: Part 1

“Let's start at the very beginning a very good place to start…”

Before I go into a rendition of “Do-Re-Mi” let me begin with my first memory of 2008. We started out the New Year in Kentucky for my parent's 30th wedding anniversary. They never had a wedding ceremony when they got married 30 years ago. That is why we encouraged them to renew their vows and do it up big this time.

The ceremony began with a slideshow of my parents throughout the years.


Then my brother played Canon in D on the guitar as they walked down the aisle together. My dad was wearing a brand new suit with some very rockin' snakeskin boots from Aldo that his sons had all chipped in to get him. My mom had a light gold, almost beige, formal gown with a lace jacket. My aunt stood by my mom's side as the maid of honor and my oldest brother was the best man for my dad. Their pastor officiated the ceremony in the same church that they went to when they first came to the Lord 26 years ago. In fact my mother was baptized there when she was pregnant with me.


My favorite part of the ceremony was when the pastor asked each of them “if you were back in that moment, knowing everything that you know now, would you do it all again?” Of course they both answered with an exuberant yes, otherwise this probably wouldn't be one of my top memories of 2008. This question was of great significance to me because my parents haven't had it easy. They have lived in and out of the country, they've struggled financially, they lost their youngest son and they've been wounded throughout the years. So when you pose a question like that it holds weight, it bares some thought. It was in the midst of all the struggles that they have grown closer and I think the 30 year marriage is testimony enough. So they stood at the alter, surround by family and loved ones who have watched them grow together over the years. They now not only have their 3 children, but also a son and daughter through marriage, a brand new grandchild and most importantly are still madly in love. With all that, how could you not want to publicly declaration of your commitment to one another?

They ended the ceremony with the song “everything I do I do it for you” and they walked down the stairs and slow danced together while the band continued playing in the background.



Some people have an extravagant fairy tale wedding and may or may not end up in a successful marriage. My parents on the other had never had the beautiful wedding ceremony, but they have beautiful memories and a legacy that has made an impact and will have a lasting affect for generations.

1 comment:

Dawn's Daily Journal said...

I think that story is just beautiful. My husband and I met when we were 15 years old. Got married by the JP in Vegas. Alone. The total cost of our wedding was $50. 20 years later I would do it all again.
Your parents are just lovely.
dawn