Thursday, January 15, 2009

2008 Memories: Part 3

If you have been following my 2008 memories you might have noticed that part 2 is missing. There is a video that goes with it and I have been unsuccessful at embedding it. Hopefully I will get that up soon.

The first year of life brings many firsts. Before I had children I thought it was just first word and first steps, bada-bing bada-boom. Since I've had my son every little new accomplishment is a major event to document. You have the first smile, the first laugh, the first time clapping etc.
Here is a video of me obsessively looking for that first tooth. Bare with me on the annoying baby talk, it is another one of those things I didn't understand until I became a mom.


It isn't always clear cut when that milestone event takes place, at least not for me. Let's take the teeth for example. Does the first tooth have to be all the way out or is it considered a tooth once it breaks the skin? If the first time they roll over they are on a downward slant, does that count? What about first steps, do they have to stick the landing?

With that said we have had many milestones in 2008 whether or not I can clearly define when exactly they first happened, but I will never forget the day he said his first word. He mumbled mama and dada for a while, but it wasn't neccesarily directed to anybody or anything in particular. He could say ball if I said it, but I just assumed he was repeating me without really understanding the meaning. Of course I wasn't going to let the little guy off that easy, so I put him to the test and the next time I got a ball out I didn't say a thing. He began quietly chirping ba...ba...? I knew he was saying ball and I was so excited. He still loves balls, but he gets a little confused when he sees oranges, melons, or any round fruit. Every time we go through produce he starts pointing and shouting enthusiastically "BALL, BALL, BALL!" He'll get it eventually.

So that is the story of Baby Z's first word and just one more moment that made 2008 such a memorable year.

No comments: