Friday, January 23, 2009

Froogie Boogie: Free MP3

Looking for a way to legally expand your music collection at no cost? The latest craze in promotional offers seems to be free song with purchase. Pepsi, Gap, and Amazon have all used this technique to suck in consumers. I would never recommend buying something just to get a song that is worth maybe 99 cents, but it's not always a bad thing. You may have passed up free music before because of the hassle. You have to have itunes, you have to know the code, yada yada yada.

On the other hand anyone with a mac or a PC can download itunes for free at itunes.com and when you do you automatically have the option of downloading a new free single every week. Starbuck's also has free songs available every week. They look like this
and a lot of my music has come from a collection of these handy dandy cards. I discovered Citizen Cope, Jem, and Adele through downloading a free single and I love these artists. I don't download everything, just what I think I may like. If you did though, you could get 2 free songs every week. Over a year you could have more than $100 worth of free music. You don't get to pick what songs you get, but free is free, and sometimes you might get just what you were looking for.

No comments: