Friday, January 23, 2009

Rapping On Road Trips

This week I am talking about music. Music can have many purposes. I have mentioned this before, but I think first and foremost it can be a part of worship. It can also be used to get you pumped during exercise and sporting events, or help set the tone for a romantic atmosphere. One thing that I really appreciate about music is how it makes car rides tolerable. Sometimes it's the one thing that keeps you going on long road trips. I will never forget the drive from Texas to Kentucky with my parents. I was bored stiff. Out of Eden was a christian R&B band that I really liked at the time and there is a part of one song that includes a short rap. While listening to it on this trip I thought why not teach dad to rap? I don't listen to a lot of rap music, but even with as white as am, it is a little known secret that I am a closet rapper. So line by line I taught my dad this little diddy and by the time he had it down, we were almost to our destination and had managed to have a lot of fun along the way. That was over 10 years ago, but he still remembers it (for the most part). It just so happens that my dad is in town right now, so after much begging and pleading, I was able to record him doing the rap on my web cam! He asked to be incognito, which explain the oversized sweatshirt and sunglasses. As far as the hand motions, I made him do that too. Thanks again dad, for being such a good sport, both in my teen years and now. With that said, I present to you the man of the hour, I.T. engineer by day, gansta rapper by night...

No comments: