Tuesday, January 20, 2009

A World With Music

I have talked about a lot of things on this blog, like thrift store shopping, poetry, saving money, TV, decorating, shoes, games, and CHOCOLATE. These are all things that I love, but one of my most beloved pastimes has gone with very little mention and that is music. Who doesn’t love music? It really is the universal language and I don’t know how I could possibly narrow it down to a one week topic, but I will do my best.

I have always been a music lover. When I was little they called me “the singing bush” which was a character from the 3 amigos, an actual bush that sang constantly.
I grew up in an Assembly of God church and music was a big part of the services there. I am not talking about organs and hymnbooks. I am talking about a loud, key pounding, bass booming, dancing, clapping, shouting, revival culture. So that was my very first introduction to music, particularly live music, which I think is an important aspect.

I pretty much listened to whatever my parents did until the adolescent years. Then I began to experiment with my own style of music. Being the 90’s that style would include genres such as alternative, punk rock, ska, and sometimes maybe even a little pop. It wasn’t just about the music though, it was a lifestyle. I was always going to shows to listen to a live performance late into the night, dancing, singing at the top of my lungs, and being surrounded by other people sharing the same experience.

When I got married my husband insisted on live music for our wedding and he even surprised me with a love song that he wrote for me. When I was preparing for labor with my son I had spent hours strategically selecting songs that would make me feel calm and peaceful, which included the song that my husband played on our wedding day. He is currently on staff at our church and leads worship every Sunday and Wednesday. That means I get to enjoy live music every week, worshiping God with body of Christ. What an awesome opportunity. I cannot imagine a world without music.

No comments: