Friday, January 16, 2009

2008 Memories: Part 4



One of the biggest events of my life this past year was getting a new car. Anyone that has been through this process and doesn't have money to burn knows what a huge decision this is. I remember when we got my husband's car a couple years ago. He knew exactly what he wanted and we searched far and wide to find just the right one. At one point we traveled across the state to go look at a car that had been listed online. After a year of sharing a car, months of searching for cars, and traveling all day we finally met up with the dealer. I was sold. My only question was where do we sign?

My husband however, was more reluctant. He he looked under the hood, he jiggled every part he could reach, and checked beneath the seats. He even started sniffing the interior. I knew sniffing was a bad sign. I urged him to expand his mind. "It's just the aesthetics", I told him, "lipstick and rouge."

We left without a car that day, but my husband being the thorough man that he is had gotten the vin number and plugged it into carfax.com when we got home. Turns out the car had been stolen, wrecked, and found in a disaster area of New Orleans. Oops, so maybe I was a bit hasty.

That has nothing to do with this year though. That was pretty much my husbands car, this year I got MY car. It was kind of the same emotional roller coaster as last time. At one point I even fired our loan officer without telling my husband. It was bad. It all worked out in the end though. I found this email I had sent to my friend back in May when all this was going on. I was telling her about how long everything was taking and all the hoops we were having to jump through. I was stressing out, and compared it to buying our house. I will conclude with an excerpt from that email,

"I look at it this way, the bigger the decision the more complicated the transaction so it goes...
House
Car
Television
Shoes
Milkshake

and that is probably why I end up drinking so many milkshakes."

No comments: