Saturday, January 3, 2009

Christmas '08

The holidays are officially OVER. Other than a few lights that some of my neighbors are still showcasing at night, all of the Christmas festivities that have consumed our lives this past month are now no more than a mere memory.

We just got back from spending the holidays with family in Kentucky. We had a great time. My family decided to take a different approach to gift giving this year and we did almost all home made gifts. I'll admit I got off easy by giving professionally printed photos that I had taken...


My mom gave homemade recipe books of some of her favorite dishes, which also included the history behind them, and family photos. It was such a wonderful idea; cute, practical, and sentimental.


My brother, who has always been the most eccentric one, decided to make mink hats. I have never had a mink anything, so this is definitely a fun gift and very warm too (sorry PETA). This is a photo of my mom in her hat. Each one had was a slightly different style.

My sister in law made me the coolest apron ever. It has 3 different prints that all coordinate. I think it will help me with my resolution to cook more. This is a photo of me in my parent's kitchen cooking dinner for the family.

This next one will probably be in the record books as my all time favorite present. At first I thought was a framed poster, but it is actually hand painted. It is a replica of a painting by a famous Italian artist, and my dad customized it special for us. It fits in perfectly with our newly remodeled breakfast nook.

I am so touched by the time each person took to pour their talent and creativity into each gift. Christmas '08 might be just a mere memory, but it's a good one.

2 comments:

Renee said...

Wowsers. Love the recipie books. I may do that for upcoming birthdays. Glad you had a great time.

Renee

Chuck & Chels said...

your family rocks!! i especially love the painting your dad gave you for your kitchen.
happy '09!