Wednesday, January 21, 2009

What's Your Pandora Station?

Music can be so defining. We associate different types of music with different cultures, clothing, ages, and even personalities. Someone that you think you could classify may listen to a style of music that breaks the stereotypes. Music has the power to form bonds between total strangers. It can sway your mood, make you move, it can be inspiring, or depressing. What we listen to is a part of who we are.

Today I thought I would share with you some of the music that I enjoy and I hope that you will do the same . While this should seem simple enough, my mind went blank on where to begin, so I went to Pandora.com to take a look at the stations I have created over the past year.

If you haven’t heard of Pandora it is a web based radio station that you can customize to your own musical preferences. You just type in your favorite band or song and it picks out more music that it thinks you would like. If you don’t like a song it plays there is a thumbs down button and it will veer away from that song and if you do like it click thumbs up and it will play more music like that. It’s a great way to hear new stuff or just enjoy old favorites.

Being that I have a wide range of musical tastes I have a variety of Pandora stations that I will play depending on my mood at that moment.

First off I have the Hillsong United station because I love worship music. I love Jason Upton, Brian and Jenn Johnson, John Marc McMillan, and Phil Wickham who I got to see live in concert a couple nights ago. It was awesome.



Second, I have the Jeremy Enigk station. I listen to a lot of rock music. Some of them are legends while others are indie. My favorites include Wilco, Cold Play, Midlake, U2, Eisley, Mute Math, Matt Kearney, Rogue Wave, Radiant and the list goes on.

My third Pandora Station is Bobby Darin. I love the big band era. I don’t listen to Swing music that frequently, but sometimes I just need my fix of Louis Armstrong, Frank Sinatra, Duke Ellington, and Rosemary Clooney. Pandora’s great, but I prefer listening to these classics on vinyl.

Lastly, I have a Justin Timberlake station. I have to have some upbeat music when doing housework. Although I couldn’t rattle off a bunch of hip hop artist that I listen to, I am not ashamed to admit that I do like to shake it every now and then.

That's pretty much it other than Lauryn Hill, Water Deep, The Cranberries, The Once soundtrack, and Adele.

Surely out of all that music we must have something in common, or maybe not. Either way share with me your Pandora station, or what it would be if you had one. There just might be a connection there.


No comments: