Sunday, August 24, 2008

Hurricane Katrina

It is hard to believe that this Friday marks the 3 year anniversary of a storm that took the lives of more than 1,800 people and caused an estimated 81 billion dollars worth of damage. When Huricane Katrina struck in August of 2005 my mom wasted no time getting involved in the relief efforts. After making several trips to the effected areas herself, she proposed that instead of gathering together in Kentucky for Thanksgiving as we normally would we should go down to New Orleans and work with a church there to help bring aid. So that is what we did, my husband and I from Dallas, my brother and his wife from Atlanta, my other brother from Cincinnati, and my parents from Louisville. Soon after returning home I wrote this poem. Everything in it is true, this lady was living in a disaster zone, but somehow she seemed so full of hope. She talked to me about how surprised she was that she still had her awning. Her story spoke to me, as did many of the other people that I met that week. On Friday I will be featuring a video slideshow of our trip there in memory of the tragic event and as a reminder that even in the most desperate of times, there is always hope.

FRAIL LITTLE LADY


Frail little lady
Struck by a mighty storm
She rambled and she scurried
But you could tell that she was worn

She only had two choices
To leave or get swept up
No time to even think
For the news was so abrupt

So she chose to leave the place
And everything she knew
To escape the horrible waters
Before the problem grew

Her mother chose the other
Because she had no choice at all
So she fell asleep forever
Staring at the hospital wall

And while the little lady
Went along her path
All of her belongings soaked
Within a monstrous bath

Once she came back home
She found her house scared with graffiti
Screaming of the disaster
Declaring that she was needy

But with hope and courage
Of a new day dawning
The frail little lady was happy
For she still had her awning

I have never seen a tragedy
Such as this in my own life
But from now on I will think of her
Each time I am feeling strife

When I feel I am marked “disaster”
Or the darkness hovering
I will be like the little lady
Knowing I still have my covering






Photo of my husband bringing food to that lady that this poem is about

4 comments:

Susan said...

Oh WOW. Glad you posted this, Natalie. What a wonderful thing your mom suggested your family do. It is kindness at its best.

blestbutstrest said...

What a beautiful poem and what a beautiful way to spend your Thanksgiving vacation! I was working at a small private school in Montana when Katrina hit, and our students decided to climb our local mountain for the second time in two weeks (first time for our annual race) only to make it a fundraiser this time. They raised $20,000 for the hurricane victims in four days!

Unknown said...

I can't imagine the devastation you saw first hand. I love that your family spent the holidays ministering to those affected!

Unknown said...

Your mom has a special heart she seemed to pass on to you. Not everyone would be willing to change holiday plans to go and help people in need. Thanks for sharing this reflection. It was so beautifully written.