Monday, August 25, 2008

The Kitchen Chronicles

I ended my “series” last week with the story of our fixer upper. Our latest project is the kitchen and it has been THE BIGGEST project of them all. It all began back in March, I was going out of town for a week, and my husband would have the house all to himself. He told me, “That will work out great because I am going to redo the kitchen while you are gone”. I really didn’t think he could get it done in a week, so I gave away all of our perishable food items, emptied out all of the cabinets and boxed everything up. I figured we would be back in business in about a month. Well a month went by, and then another and another. Now we are into the 5th month and it looks like the finishing touches will officially be done by Friday.

The kitchen is functioning at this point and it is a huge adjustment. I am excited, but it still feels weird not to get a box of cereal from off of the mantel, or grab some milk out of the fridge in the corner of the living room . Believe me I am ecstatic about not having to eat out all the time, but when it comes to grocery shopping and cooking I feel like I am starting all over.

It’s not just the 5 months without a kitchen either; if I was completely honest I would have to admit that it goes back further than that. Remember when the writers went on strike last year? It all started November 5 of 2007. I don’t remember exactly how it happened, but I guess I felt like if the writers were going on strike for something that they were well compensated for (compared to the average American) for something that they loved to do, then I would go on strike for something that I wasn’t compensated for and I was sick of doing. Thus began my cooking strike. Looking back I completely regret it. I know my kitchen wasn’t great, but if I had known how long I would be without any kind of kitchen at all I would have cooked my heart out to store up for the dry season we were about to endure.

You live and learn. With that said this week I will begin my series “the kitchen chronicles” as I fumble my way through trying to relearn how to make home cooked meals for my family and at the end of the week we will (fingers crossed) finally reveal our brand spankin’ new kitchen!

No comments: