Tuesday, August 26, 2008

The Kitchen Chronicles: We survived my cooking (barely)

Yesterday in The Kitchen Chronicles, you saw how I made my way around the grocery store, and today I will be documenting how I fared in the kitchen.

For our first dinner in the new kitchen I started really basic. It was a Kung Pao chicken meal kit, so I just had to add the chicken and vegetables. I tried to be way on top of it all, so while the baby was sleeping I did all the prep work.



Later, after I got back from doing a photo shoot I threw it all into a pan and served it up without a problem. I was very proud of my organization. This was going so smoothly compared to the way I used to do things. We sat down and said a prayer together for the first time at the new kitchen table. It was a very special moment. Now time to dig in. I pick up my chopsticks and taste the fruits of my labor.



“AHHHH” I screamed! My eyes started watering, my husband and son were staring, it was absolutely horrible! Well, let me explain, the food was fine, but it was spicy and I just happened to have the worst canker sore of all time. I knew it was kind of difficult to chew on one side, but I had no idea how excruciating spicy food would feel on the open sore. I cringe now just thinking about it. In the end we survived that meal and I am slowly recovering.

Last night I stepped it up a notch and I made Rachel Ray’s “Vinegar and Honey Chicken with creamy Dijon Potatoes”. Same routine, I did most of the preparation before I went off to a consultation. As soon as I got home I went straight to the kitchen still in my high heels. I was feeling like super mom. Dinner was served and I was able to enjoy the cuisine this time.

However, one thing about the meal was that it called for chopped thyme. I had bought some fresh and I diced it up whole and threw it in. It seemed strange to have sticks in the sauce, but I just thought “well that’s just how that gourmet cooking is, sticks, leaves, flowers… it’s part of the look.” Not long into the meal my husband starts choking and I ask him if he needs the heimlich maneuver, but he declines, which is good because I wouldn’t really know how to do it. He excuses himself from the table and his coughs and gags are echoing throughout the house. The baby and I just look at each other. I was concerned so I went in to check on him and in the sink along with parts of his chewed up food is a small streak of blood!!! “Oh my gosh! Honey, Oh my gosh! What should we do? Are you okay?” By this time he felt fine, and he didn’t want any of my help. It turned out to be the fresh thyme, one of the sticks had stabbed him in the throat.

I was so discouraged. I had just started to cook again and I almost killed my husband. Later, that night he told me I should add that meal to the list of ones to have over and over again. I thought he was being sarcastic, but he actually meant it! He said he really enjoyed it aside from the near death experience. I gave him a huge really long hug, what a gracious husband. Next time, no sticks!

No comments: