Thursday, November 13, 2008

City of the Month #3: Hot Springs Arkansas


For the November "City of the Month" I am going to warm up with a look at Hot Springs Arkansas. This city has a special place in my heart because it is where my husband and I went for our honeymoon in November of 2000.

I would think the name speaks for itself, Hot Springs is known for it's hot springs! There are 47 in all and they run through the mountains at a temperature of 143 degrees. Among just being relaxing and refreshing the mineral waters also have a reputation for their healing properties. That is why there were so many bath houses built there.

Bath house row is a street in downtown Arkansas featuring eight historical buildings used for spa treatments in the early 1900's . The Buck Staff Bath House is the only remaining functioning bath house and has been in operation since 1912. It is basically like going to an old fashioned spa. They have separate floors for men and women. Bathing Suits are optional, but no one wears them. They wrap you with a toga and you can wear that going from one therapeutic service to the next. The water used in all of the baths comes directly from the natural underground reservoir and it is so relaxing. I received my very first professional massage when I was there on my honeymoon. You can have over an hour of pampering for $50! The Buck Staff Bath house is an indulgence you can't find anywhere else.

The thermal springs and the bathhouse row are just two landmarks among many in Hot Springs Arkansas. I could go on and on, but I will just say that the historical Gables Inn Bed Breakfast is where we stayed on our honeymoon and it was very nice. They offer package deals with your room to include many of the local attractions at a discounted rate. This is how we were able to do the bath house, horse back riding, a view of the fall foliage from the magazine tower, and romantic dinners on the lake.

I don't know if I can keep up with these city reviews, I get an itch to travel. All these memories of Hot Springs makes me want to drop everything and go there right now!


Horse Back Riding in the Mountains of Hot Spring on our honey moon (November 2000)


Back for a visit in January of 2008 with our 4 month old

2 comments:

The Cunningham Family said...

are we related? ;) i guess we just like to visit the same places! we went there last year for our anniversary! it was so pretty!

Jerri Dalrymple said...

We also honemooned in Hot Springs in October 2001!!!! We stayed on Bathhouse Row, as well, went up in the magazine tower, and went horseback riding. We stayed at The Arlington, the oldest hotel in the state of Arkansas. We also went back in 2006 for our 5th anniversary and stayed at the Velda Rose as part of our vacation package (the spa/massage, etc, along with horseback riding). We live about 4 hours northwest of Hot Springs, in the northwest corner of Arkansas. Seems like we are kindred spirits! :0)