Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Look Back and Laugh: The Generation Gap

This week I am talking about how much technology has changed over the past 10 years, but obviously even more has changed in 87 years.

I was working on an assignment where I had to photograph an 87 year old man at a church that is 155 years old. I called the man to get directions to the church he told me to look at my county map. When I told him that I did not have a county map he just couldn't get over it. "You shouldn't be going anywhere without the county map" he emphatically replied.
"Well, sir if you could just give me the directions I can look it up online." I really didn't know where to go from there.
"oh, you ain't gonna find it online" he said.
He just couldn't get over the fact that I did not have a county map and he lectured me some more, but eventually gave me directions by way of landmarks, and cemeteries.

When I arrived the day of the shoot the pastor of the church came out to greet me. He also seemed advanced in years and when he saw my equipment he asked what kind of camera I was using.
I tried to talk slowly and loud enough for him to understand-
"This is called the Canon 20D. It's DIGITAL."
I smiled at him with his squinty eyes looking over my newfangled contraption. His response had me floored.

"The 20D huh? That is pretty cool, I read some really great reviews about it. I have the XTI. I used to have a NikonD40 , but I sold it on ebay."

Well, I'll be darned. It was quite a humbling experience. They were both really great guys with some very touching stories and a lot of wisdom. Maybe some day that pastor could teach me a thing or two about how to sell stuff on Ebay.


1 comment:

Becky said...

Wow, I guess you really CAN'T judge a book. . .you know.

And I sort of, um, gave you an award over at my place today. Hope that's okay!