Wednesday, November 19, 2008

MP3

Since I am already being accused of sounding old (since my post about texting) I will go ahead and confess everything right now. I remember the days of cassette tapes and I remember when CD's made their debut. My first CD was the Lion King Sound Track. About 8 years later I got my first MP3 player. My husband got it for my old 93 Volvo. It worked great for a while there. Then he felt like this new media form couldn't perform at it's fullest potential until we got a new sound system. So for my birthday he got me some new speakers, which he did his best to install himself. This resulted in another unfinished project leaving us with no speakers, therefor no music in the car at all, for years. However, since I have had my new car, my husband made up for the failed gift of speakers by getting me an ipod for my birthday this year.

Who would have thought music would become invisible. If you think about it music isn't something you touch it is something you hear. However it doesn't feel that way after going through the record player era, then the 8 track, cassettes, and CD's. These were all things which were tangible objects you could see and hold. Now everything is digital. I haven't bought an actual CD in years. I purchase music on itunes without ever interacting with anyone. Somehow the invisible money is transferred from my account to the seller, and even with an unplugged computer the music miraculously travels through space and is downloaded onto my laptop where I can transfer it to my ipod and play it through the stereo in my car. It really baffles me.

The advantages of the mp3 are that you can now listen to music on the go without the bulk of a walkman. Instead of carrying around a CD case or dealing with multiple disc changers, you can hold thousands of songs in the palm of your hand. If you only like one song on an album you can just buy it for $1.00 instead of wasting your money on the entire CD. As far as scratching and damages go, as long as you have your music backed up it is virtually indestructible. Does it get any better than this? I am sure they will come with something. They always do.

2 comments:

Dawn's Daily Journal said...

Girlfriend I remember the 8 track tape! I got one for Christmas one year that had a very cool shoulder strap. I also got a couple of 8 tracks...one of them was Barbra Streisand. Whooo was I cool or what?!?!!! hahahaha
dawn

Becky said...

I still get a tingle when I think about how I spent my own money on the Footloose soundtrack, on vinyl. Let's hear it for the boy!

Great post!