Thursday, November 20, 2008

The Digital Camera

In 2001 my husband was so excited about the gift he got me for my birthday that he just had to give it to me early. It was my first digital camera, a Kodak DX3500 and it had a whopping 2.2 mega pixels.

I had seen the commercials, and to think that you could take a picture and see what it looks like immediately was absolutely astonishing! This was truly state of the art. I was the only person I knew that had one at that time and it was my most prized possession.

Before then I went through a lot of disposable cameras. Having only 24 photos was never the right amount. I either ended up shooting random things just to use up the film and get it developed, or I would run out and not get to capture everything I wanted to. The digital camera is what made me realize my passion for photography, which is ironic because I had previously made fun of photographers saying that they were wannabe artist that couldn't draw. Now I am one, and I can draw too, but did I mention I am horrible with directions?

Even though the digital camera has actually been around for over ten years, it wasn't widely observed by professional photographers or the average consumer up until the turn of the century. Even then I have heard much skepticism in my career as to whether or not a digital camera can compete with film. I think the digital arena has pretty well proved itself by now, although there are still a few protesters remaining that will probably go to the grave with their 35 millimeters in one hand and high speed film in the other. I think that film and dark rooms will always be a beautiful art form. Kind of like horseback riding, it's great, but most people these days use other modes of transportation to get where they need to go.

No comments: