Friday, November 21, 2008

Froogie Boogie: Savings for Mac User's

Since this week I am discussing technology, I thought I would share some frugal tips about my laptop.

My laptop is a huge part of my livelihood, having a Mac that was portable was the ideal situation for my business. So even though it might seem a bit extravagant to have a 17-inch Mac book pro you can bet that I did the best I could to score a good deal…

1. I hate to sound like a broken record because this is always my frugal tip, but by buying used I drastically reduced the cost of my computer. The Mac store offers Apple certified refurbished products that include a warranty.

2. This brings me to my next tip, which is to have a warranty. Apple Care offers an additional 2 years to the one that comes with a new computer for a total of a 3 year warranty. If you do not have a warranty and you need any repairs they will rake you over the coals with cost of parts and labor. I know as a froogie it is hard to spend money on something that you may never need, but it is the wisest choice in the long run.

3. Always check for hidden discounts. The Mac store offers great student discounts. At the time I purchased apple care for my laptop I was enrolled in a correspondence program and was able to get the discount, which saved me about a hundred dollars. It is always a good idea when making a purchase to check if you are eligible for a discount. Whether it is military or senior citizen you would be surprised how many opportunities for savings are out there.

On top of these 3 savings I also use my computer as a tax write off for my business. You may not be able to do this for all of your electronics, but if you are self-employed in anyway it is definitely something to consider. In the end I did spend a good chunk of change for my laptop, however I think it is important to remember that being cheap and being frugal are two very different things.

No comments: