Wednesday, November 26, 2008

French Dressing

Thanksgiving is a time to reflect on the history and tradition. While I couldn’t even tell you where all of my ancestors are from, I do know that I am half French Candadian. My mom’s parents came to America from Montreal.

I don’t know a lot about the history there, but the one French Candadian tradition that did get passed down through my mom’s family is French Dressing. Contrary to what it sounds like it has nothing to do with salad dressing. It is more like the american version of stuffing, but with meat and potatoes and is traditionally served on Thanksgiving Day known as le Jour de Merci Donnan. Here is the recipe.

Ingredients
2 lbs. ground beef
1 lb. ground pork
6 medium potatoes ( 2 potatoes per pound)
1 onion, finely chopped
1 Cup water
1 tsp. poultry seasoning
1/2 tsp. cloves
3/4 tsp. all spice
salt and pepper to taste


Prep
Cube Potatoes.
Finely chop onion.
Add all of the ingredients to a large kettle.
Cook over a medium heat for about one hour until meat is cooked and potatoes are tender.
Remove from heat. Spoon off about one-half cup of drippings and discard.
Mash the potatoes and stir mixture.



What about you? Do you have any unordinary Thanksgiving foods that are traditional for your family?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Now I've got to have some!
N.L.W.