Friday, September 12, 2008

Froogie Boogie: T Shirts For "the big day"

Have you ever seen those novelty onesies or pregnancy tshirts and then looked at the price tag? $20.00? OUCH!
For all of the creative "froogies" out there don't let that get you down. Not only can you make your own for less, but then you have something that is custom designed and one of a kind. I shared this photo of my family the day my son was born in my birth story blog.



I had on a shirt that said "Super Mom" in rhinestones and baby Z had a onesie that said "birthday boy". The only one that was missing was my husband's. His shirt said "Dad to the Bone".


front

back

All of these shirts were personalized by hand. I made the one for me and the baby and my uber crafty friends surprised us with the shirt for my husband.


Here is a quick tutorial on how they were done.

Baby Z's onesie is just a light blue Gerber Onesie ($2) with iron on letters ($3.00).

The Super Mom Shirt is a black shirt on clearance at Target ($4) and the iron on rhinestones ($4)

The Dad to the bone shirt is a black tshirt ($4) and fabric paint (Jacquard Textile colors $2.74) applied with stencils ($3) and a sponge brush. ($2)

Now just for fun lets compare some of the prices of the items I found online to the price of the one's we did ourselves.


Rhinestone mommy tee- $42.00



My rhinestone mommy tee- $8.00


"brand new" onesie- $22.00


My "birthday boy" onesie- $5.00



"changing the world one diaper at a time" Dad Tee-$38.00


front

back

"Dad to the bone" Tee- $11.00

Not to mention the prices of my shirts were really way less because you can reuse the materials to make the shirt and every good froogie knows how easy it is to score %40 off or more at the big craft stores like Jo Anne's and Michael's. You can also use shirts that you already own. You can even salvage a stained shirt by covering it with a patch or paint!

I just love these shirts, they were fun to make, they were a fun part of the birth, and I will definitely be hanging on to them for the memories.

It doesn't have to stop at new baby t shirts you can use this concept for any occasion. Here are some other one's I have made.




front

back


front

back

3 comments:

April said...

very cute!

mom_of2boys said...

Great idea! I might have to give this a try. I usually give a few onsies as baby shower gifts. What a way to liven them up!

Anonymous said...

These are so cute. You are so creative Natalie. I am just so amazed by you everytime I read your blog. I look forward everyday.