Friday, September 12, 2008

Natural Child birth tip #3: Comfortable Surroundings

This week I am talking about Natural Childbirth and so far I have shared 2 tips. First, come up with a birth plan and second, don't be fearful . The next tip I have will coincide with the other two, and that is to surround yourself with things that make you feel comfortable.

The enviroment that you give birth in will greatly affect your success during labor and delivery. The actual location itself is a big decision and will have some impact on what you are allowed to have with you. You will have to check the regulations for your specific birthing facility and if you are having a home birth, good for you, you can do whatever you want.

For me this was the fun part! I love music and photography so I wanted to incorporate both of these interests into the delivery room. I spent a lot of time choosing a play list with songs that would create an atmosphere of peace (I joked about it in a previous blog, but it really was helpful). I also spent time choosing photos that brought pleasant memories of people and places that I love. I had these photos playing on a slideshow on my laptop. I would look at them when I needed to take my mind off things. Another great item to have when you are trying to stay calm and focused is a baby item, maybe some adorable shoes that you can’t wait for your little one to wear.

You also need to consider who you want in the room with you. It was a part of my birth plan that once I was in active labor it would only be my husband and I (and I also had a non intrusive photographer.) This was a difficult decision because we love our families dearly, incase you can't tell by how much I write about them, but for my first labor I felt very vulnerable and shy about the whole process and our mother's were understanding of our requests. Maybe you feel the most comfortable when you are surrounded by ALL your loved one's that is also an option.

One last consideration is what you will wear. If you are at a hospital I suppose it is a no brainer, you will be sporting the ever so fashionable gown provided with your stay. However, for me I picked out a special night gown that was cute, comfortable, really light weight, and also allowed for breast feeding. You will probably need to bring 3 or 4 comfortable items such as night gown, big t shirt, lounge wear, or robe.

So, be creative and have fun with the items that you take along. You don't have to do what I did. Maybe your comfort objects are sudoku puzzles and flowers, it is whatever floats your boat (and is approved by your care provider).
Make sure you plan ahead because you never know when the time will come. Whatever items you do plan on taking be sure to have them packed and ready to go (or in the case of a home birth have them prepared and set aside) at least a month in advance.

Your birth plan should express what is going to make YOU the most comfortable. This will help relieve stress and is a recipe for a smooth and successful natural childbirth.

No comments: