Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Reality TV

Unless you’ve been living under a rock you are aware of the impact that reality shows have had on Television for the past 10 years. I have heard relentless complaints across the board about how obnoxious and pointless these programs are. So why then have they succeeded in dominating ratings over and over again? How is it that these reality based programs seem to be reinventing themselves?

Now, I wouldn’t call myself a reality show junkie, but I probably watch more reality TV than any other kind and I have a few theories of why we become entranced with the idea.

1. That could be you
From the bright lights of American Idol, to the Million Dollar case in Deal or No Deal, you are rooting for a REAL person. If they can get a record deal or win a million dollars that means it could happen for you too. It’s no longer all about designer jeans, nose jobs, and luxury vehicles; these are people that we can actually relate to most of the time.

2. Stickin’ it to the Man
In the same spirit of my first theory, I believe you can feel like you are large and in charge when it comes to reality television. Snobby writers and Well-to-do actors never saw it coming. With this new medium the Entertainment industry has to share a little bit of love with the common blue-collar contestant. Add to that the fact that viewers can actually participate through voting on a lot of these shows which means we finally have a say. Move over fat wallet producers, the viewers are steering the ship for a change (or at least they make it seems that way).

3. I know them!
Has anyone you know ever been on reality TV? Chances are good that you have had at least a friend of friend or someone that was from a city near you show up on TV. There is something magical about seeing a person you know inside that black box. I can name several instances where someone I met or know was on a reality show including Big Brother and American Idol. My friend from high school was on America’s got Talent last year. She made it through several rounds. Also, my hair was on reality show on TLC. Let me explain. The show called Sheer Dallas was airing an episode focused on the big wedding drama between my husband’s boss and her daughter. They filmed some of the show at my husbands work where he made his television debut, and they also filmed the wedding, which I was at and part of my hair was on screen. I know it was me because I know where I was sitting. How ridiculous do I sound bragging about this? Probably about as ridiculous as the millions of other people that either have been on a reality show or know someone who has. This is why so many people tune in when they wouldn't have otherwise, and THAT is what makes the reality world go round.




This is a video of Fallon on America's Got Talent last year.


Here is a photo of me and Fallon with some friends about 10 years ago. She is in the white shirt, and I am the one with the orange shirt, which I still own by the way.

What about you? Have any reality show connections? Please share.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hahaha. I have that photo too! Thanks for the blog. Reality tv is NOT reality. They tell you what to do, what to say (if they dont like your answer). In talent competitions it is all about ratings. Who is going to get boo'ed the most. Who fits the mold of what we want this year? Nothing is based on talent. I had to fit the "southern country girl" mold. I had a social distortion shirt on and I was told to change into a sun dress or something else because I had to fit into that mold. And magically, when I turned down David Hasselhoff after he repeatedly asked me if I was married and what hotel I was staying at, if my husband was with me, etc etc, I was booted. Ack.