Thursday, September 25, 2008

Why I Love: Fritos




In my blog about the Emmy's
I casually mentioned Frito pie, and it has since then occurred to me that many people may be unaware that this scrumptious treat even exists. No, it is not a dessert. In it’s simplest form it is just Fritos topped with chili and cheese. Although, there are many variations.

I never heard of Frito Pie until I moved to Texas, but for me it was love at first taste, unlike biscuits and gravy, Dr. Pepper, and Tabasco sauce (three other very Texan delicacies).

Fritos originated in Texas in 1932, you can read all about it in The Allure of Frito Pie at dallasnews.com. The Frito-Lay headquarters still reside in Plano Texas. My Brother in law has worked for Frito-Lay for 25 years and his son works there too. My dad who works in the graphics industry has also done work for them, so I guess you could say Frito runs in my family.

Aside from just eating Fritos straight from the bag or making a Frito pie I learned a new concoction just last week. Mix Fritos with Reese’s pieces! It may sound gross, but it’s really not. It tastes just like my favorite candy bar Butterfinger Crisp
It’s a great option for movies and on the go snacking.

Fritos may not be the most healthy thing to munch on, but they are tasty, versatile, and Texan. So that is “why I love” Fritos.




Have you mixed Fritos in a creative way? Are they in an ingredient in one of your favorite recipes? I’d love to hear about it please share.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

We take fritos and put lime on them and then tabasco sauce. It is yummy! Of course I love lime.