Saturday, October 18, 2008

Breakfast: Healthy French Toast



Here is another recipe from the Maker's Diet. It's very simple and I have some tips and tricks that I think make it even better.

Ingredients:
1 cup of plain yogurt
1/2 Tsp. honey
2 eggs slightly beaten
1/2 Tsp. sea salt
8 slices sprouted or sourdough whole-grain bread

Combine eggs, yogurt, honey and salt in a mixing blow. Dip each slice of bread quickly into the mixture. Brown in extra-virgin coconut oil. Serve with butter, honey, maple syrup, or fruit.


These are the things that I found helpful and put to good use in this recipe. Although, by no means do you have to do it this way.

An 8 cup square snap and seal ziplock container. Rather than a bowl, I like to use a more shallow container with a flat bottom to make the mixture and dip the bread in.


The Pampered Chef Measure-All Cup for easy measurement of the yogurt (I found it a lot better when I only used 1/2 cup of yogurt)

I use organic Stonyfield Farm plain yogurt or some other kind as well as free range chicken eggs


I also put olive oil spray on my measuring spoon before pouring the honey in it because it slides off way easier.


My favorite part is the Ezekiel bread. I use the raison bread and it is delicious.


I like 100% pure maple syrup. I have family in Vermont and every once in a while I will get the good stuff from up north, but usually I just settle for the mini bottles leftover from Cracker Barrel.


Speaking of left overs, I should also mention the best way to reheat leftover french toast is in the toaster over. It is so much better than the microwave. I had some this morning with butter and cinnamon, YUM!

Remember what mom said "breakfast is the most important meal of the day." So make it good.

No comments: