Friday, October 31, 2008

Froogie Boogie: Costumes

I shared our costumes from this year and last, and although they are not the most elaborate, at least we only spent $10 or less on each one. Of course thrift stores are yet again another great resource.



I got creative when thinking of how to tie my husband into the Chronicles of Narnia theme. I was worried that the beaver would be hard to pull off. In the end it cost very little and I think he did Mr. Beaver justice.



All we did to create this costume was have him wear entirely brown clothing and I bought a yard of felt material from Walmart for $3.00 and sewed the tail and the ears by hand. We created the teeth from a lemon peel. You can use a lemon wedge for all different kinds of false teeth, maybe you've done it for fun at a restaurant, that's how I learned. All you have to do is carve out the actual lemon and then cut the peel into the desired shape and place it in between your gums and your lips with the white side facing out.

Frugal costumes made at home are great because you get to be creative and you don't have to worry about matching anyone. It doesn't take much. Believe me I am no seamstress, but once again this proves that anybody can do it. Check out this clever idea from rocks in my dryer on how to get your children to keep there costumes within a budget.