Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Orange Chicken and Potato Recipe



This recipe from last night's meal is brought to you by Real Simple magazine. I have this magazine courtesy of the paper retriever that I found it in during one of my weekly dumpster dives. I have rarely used my crock pot, but after this experience I think I will need to pull it out far more frequently. My husband picked this recipe and he even helped me prepare it. Having assistance in the kitchen is another thing I would love to use more often. The magazine was true to it's name with this recipe because it is "real simple". My only complaint was that the chunks were too big, and my husband thought it could use more flavor. Overall we both enjoyed it though. Here is the recipe (I halved everything otherwise it serves 6).

8 skinless chicken thighs
Kosher salt and pepper
2 onions, quartered
1 pound small red potatoes
1 small butternut squash, peeled, seeded, and cut into 1-inch pieces
12 cloves garlic, peeled
1 orange, cut into 1/4-inch rings
2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
1 tablespoon honey
8 sprigs thyme

Pat the chicken dry with paper towels and season with 1 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. In the bowl of a slow cooker, combine the chicken, onions, potatoes, squash, garlic, orange, broth, honey, and thyme. Set the slow cooker to high and cook, covered, until the vegetables are tender and the chicken is cooked through, about 2 1/2 hours. Divide the chicken mixture into individual bowls.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

not bad.

Hannah said...

i need to give you a "sharon" recipe for mexican black bean soup for the crockpot - easy, so yummy, and healthy!