Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Inside My Car

I recently purchased a “new to me” car and I remember the first week driving it felt so strange. Nothing fell out when you opened the door, the only thing on the floorboards were the mats that were freshly vacuumed, and the glove box was entirely empty other than the title. Although this was nice, I was also really discourage when I needed a napkin, band aid, pen or any other random items that I would usually have stashed somewhere in my car. I then realized that I could never survive as a minimalist, I need stuff.

One of the things you will find in my car that has been such a huge lifesaver for me is a FULLY STOCKED DIAPER BAG. It is separate from my everyday diaper bag it is a back up that I keep in my trunk at all times. Now, before you new moms go out and buy two of everything just for emergencies let me explain just how simple this back up bag can be.

First of all almost every new mom gets a FREE enfimil diaper bag, hospitals and birth centers routinely give them away, but if for some reason you don’t receive one you can sign up for one at enfimil.com

Inside of my back up bag I keep a couple diaper samples and wipes which I got for free just by requesting them online. These offers are always so easy to come by and they come to your mail box all packaged up and ready to slip in the pocket behind the front seat or in your back up diaper bag.

Of course, you always need an extra outfit because you just never know what's going to happen. So just pick something simple like a onesie or sleeper just in case of an emergency. I change my back up outfits every 3 months to make sure they are the appropriate size and season. I also keep a receiving blanket handy, because they are so versatile. They are not only a blanket but a changing mat, burp cloth, or nursing cover if needed.
Other than that add a toy, pacifier, and snack and you are all set to go. If you ever have to leave the house in a hurry you will still have everything you need already.

I've had my car for about 3 months now and I no longer have a problem with it being barren. It's all stocked up; gum chap stick, deposit slips, you name it. Now my only problem is finding the happy medium between clutter free and calamity.

No comments: