Monday, October 27, 2008

New Year's Resolution Reversed (join in the fun)

One thing I have noticed since I started blogging is that the accountability factor is unrivaled. It has allowed me to accomplish things that I probably would have never stuck with otherwise.

One of my first blogs was The Restless Night Syndrome where after 11 months of our baby sleeping in our bed I was finally able to consistantly keep him in his crib for that week. It has been months since then and he sleeps through the night in his room EVERY night and it has only gotten easier, all thanks to blogging.

Fast forward a couple months and look at all I accomplished last week by cleaning up and documenting it.

BEFORE

AFTER

BEFORE

AFTER

BEFORE

AFTER

This is all from the fact that I lost my shoe and did blog reports while trying to find it.

Add to those two things, cooking, eating healthy, shopping thrifty etc. On the flip side, as I accomplish these endeavors it just makes me think of all the other things I want to try. That is why I am proposing a New Year's resolution in reverse.

Usually the concept of a New Year’s resolution is to start doing whatever it is you want to achieve on January 1st. Really though, how often does that work? So, I have decided to make January 1st the deadline instead of the starting point and I am going to come up with 5 things I want to do BY the beginning of the year. I know it’s crazy because we are about to enter into the busiest season of all, but I didn’t want to have an excuse to make the next 10 weeks of my life obsolete for anything other than the holidays. Don't to worry though, because the 5 assignments I am going to choose will be something simple and mostly fun, not daunting and overwhelming. I am going to announce them on Friday so feel free to come up with your own 5 assignments. This isn’t your everyday to do list. Think of something like scrapbooking, getting a new hair style, or running a mile or ten. If it happens it happens, if not it’s okay, no pressure. Let’s just see how well this blogging accountability works at allowing us to do the things we think about, but always put on the back burner. See you January 1st!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

Wow this is a great idea. To keep myself on track I keep a monthly to do list so it makes me accountable. When something is in list form on my fridge I tend to do this. I would feel bad if by the end of them month there are no tick marks. Great job.