Monday, October 27, 2008

City of the Month #2: Woodstock, VT

This week is All About Fall. This is my favorite time of year. If I could pick anywhere to be in the month of October it would have to be Vermont. That is why I have chosen Woodstock Vermont for my featured City this month.

Woodstock Vermont is where my father went to collage and it is one of the most peaceful, charming, and beautiful places that I have ever visited. There is good reason it has been called “the prettiest small town in America”

Although it is a great place to slow down, and enjoy a museum or sleep in at a historic bed and breakfast, one of the best parts of Woodstock is being outdoors. You can do it all; fishing, hiking, biking, and skiing surrounded by breathtaking landscapes. I would recommend checking out the Queeche Gorge. It is pronounce “quee-chee” and that is short for Ottauquechee which is the name of the river that it overlooks. The queeche gorge is a mile long and 165 feet deep. Although it is an incredible site I don’t recommend it for anyone afraid of heights. The view makes me a little queasy myself. Maybe they should call it queasy gorge.

While you are in Queeche you have to stop by Simon Pearce . It was the inspiration behind the Glass Shop depicted in the movie Sweet Home Alabama. It features, pottery, rugs, and glassware all created by hand. The products themselves are VERY high dollar, but the fun part is watching the artisans as they spin the pottery wheel or craft a hand blown glass right in front of you. That area also has some great, unique restaurants and once again gorgeous scenery.

Woodstock Vermont is a place where you will find fall foliage so vivid and bright you have to squint to look at it, sharp cheddar cheese and maple syrup farms in the heart of the village, and Clydesdale horses pulling carriages over streets that are over 200 years old, do I need to say anything else?



These photos are from 7 years ago before I was into photography. I need to go back and take new photos!

Queeche Gorge

Simon Pearce balcony over the Quechee dam

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for visiting Simon Pearce while in Vermont! I may be partial, but I agree with you 100% that Vermont is the best place to be in October. I've lived all over the US and there's no place more beautiful than New England in the fall.

Thanks for sharing, and please visit us again when you're in the area!

Melissa
The Pontilists/Simon Pearce