Friday, October 3, 2008

Froogie Boogie: Used Cars

Ask any "froogie" what kind of car they drive and 99% of the time it is a used one. Buying a used car is one of the easiest ways to save your family thousands of dollars. This week on the messy mom blog I have been going through my car history and I think the reoccurring theme among all the cars is that they are used. Check out some of my recent posts for stories and photos of these oldies but goodies.
The Messy Mom: VW Vanagon
The Messy Mom: The Good Times Van
The Messy Mom: Volvos, Volvos, and more Volvos

Some of the advantages of buying used include:

They cost a significantly less for a better make and model
Insurance generally costs less
Used cars depreciate less after purchase than new cars do
It may be easier to negotiate with an individual owner than with a car dealer
No warranty stipulations to deal with such as mileage
New cars often are worth less than the owner owes on the vehicle

Some people find this concept of buying used a car to be preposterous. They feel like it cost more in the long run because of mechanical up keep. This has not been the case for my family and I think it is largely due to being patient to find the best deal on a reliable brand of car and having it inspected. Another strategy that helps is to either be your own mechanic or know a very trustworthy one.

The car I drive now is a 2002 Toyota Highlander and I found it on Craig's list. It is much newer than any of the other cars I have owned, but it is still almost 7 years old. I love this car and although it may look like a gas gussler it is really only a 4 cylinder engine.


I know that some people have reasons why they drive new or leased vehicles, and good for them. As for me, I have never owned a new vehicle and never will, unless someone wants to give me one that would be fine. That is my froogie tip for the week. For more frugal tips check out Frugal Fridays at
biblicalwomanhoodonline.com

No comments: