Monday, October 13, 2008

Look Back and Laugh: Aromatherapy

The Maker's Diet was one fad diet that I actually got on board with. It's the one time I actually purchased a book I thumbed through at Barnes and Noble. In chapter 11 Dr. Rubin talks about using essential oils as are referenced in the Bible. The idea fascinated me and I ran out to the health food store and picked up a couple bottles of these concentrated elements.

One of the oils was Cassia

"a species of the genus Cinnamomum, known for it's effective antibacterial and antiviral agents that God provided to protect the Israelites from disease."

I figured if it worked for the Israelites I might as well give it a try. So I went through the instructions given in the book

"Place a few drops of one of the biblical essential oil blends on your palm, making several clockwise circles with your fingers. Then rub your palms together and cup them over your nose and mouth. deeply inhale the aromatic vapors."

As I was breathing in the essence of the oils it filled my senses with the sweet fragrance of cinnamon. Ah... exhale. The joys of healthy Biblical living. "Oh my" I am starting to feel a little tingle. "Ouch... okay my face burns a little bit."
" Oh God help me, my face feels like it's on FIRE! AHHHH!"
I look in the mirror and the entire area around my mouth and nose was puffy and bright red. It looked like I had been snorting some herbs of another kind. For a while I was worried that I was having an allergic reaction and was about to seek medical attention, when I read further down in dr, Rubin's directions "HIGHLY CONCENTRATED , not for topical use. Burning sensations may occur. If irritation occurs apply vegetable oil immediately."

Obviously I lived to tell about it, but word for the wise, always use caution when participating in unconventional homeopathic health practices.

1 comment:

Hannah said...

oh, i remember when that happened!