Saturday, October 18, 2008

The Messy Mom Gets Healthy: Summary

This week I took on the challenge of being healthier. By healthier I mean adding a veggie or two to my diet, and maybe not eating a half a bag of Dove chocolates all by myself. It definitely wasn't easy, but I made it to the end and found a lot of great recipes along the way. Here is a review with links to the meals I have prepared throughout the week.

Dang good tacos


Ratatouille Pizza


Orange Chicken and Potatoes


Wild Alaskan Salmon with Pecan Pesto


Healthy French Toast


Bruschetta Grilled Cheese


Stir Fry with Orange Sauce


Sweet Potato Trifle


After a week of trying to turn my eating habits around I have decided to make some new commitments. There is no way I can spend that much money on organic/ natural food every week nor do I want to spend that much time in the kitchen, but I can still make a change.

1. I CAN commit to eating fruits and/or vegetables 3 times a day

2. I CAN go to the gym once a week

3. I CAN get active in other ways for 30 minutes or more 4 days a week

4. I CAN minimize the cookies, milk shakes, and other desserts to one a day

5. I CAN continue to drink lots of water and no soda

Notice how I tried to focus on the do's instead of the don'ts. This seems to work better for me. I also like to acknowledge what I am doing right like #5. This is not something I need to work on, but just a continuation of a healthy choice I made years ago.
My problem is that I procrastinate, and think I will eat healthier next week. Or I try to be perfect which only makes it worse. For example thinking that I am going to quit eating chocolate only makes me devour it more because it won't be available forever. Or if I mess up on a diet and binge because I feel bad. So, this isn't a diet, and I am not trying to loose weight (seriously, thanks to breast feeding I am all set there). I just want to be a better example for my son who is just now learning about food. Eating pizza, chicken fingers, milk shakes, and break 'n bake, all week long is not a good idea. This week has shown me that I can make some changes, and I am looking forward to it.

No comments: